Understanding Demerit Points After Graduated Licensing
ANY POINTS ACCUMULATED WILL RESULT IN YOUR RECEIVING A WARNING LETTER!
- Failing to remain at the scene of a collision
- Careless driving
- Exceeding the speed limit by 50 km/hr or more
- Failing to stop for a school bus
- Driver of bus failing to stop at unprotected railway crossing
- Exceeding the speed limit by 30 to 49 km/hr
- Following too closely
- Exceeding the speed limit by 16 to 29 km/hr
- Driving through, around or under a railway crossing barrier
- Failing to yield the right of way
- Failing to obey the directions of a police officer
- Driving the wrong way on a divided road
- Failing to report a collision to a police officer
- Improper driving where road is divided into lanes
- Crowding the driver’s seat
- Going the wrong way on a one-way road
- Driving or operating a vehicle on a closed road
- Crossing a divided road where no proper crossing is provided
- Failing to lower headlight beam
- Improper opening of vehicle door
- Prohibited turn
- Towing people – eg: toboggans, bicycles, and skis.
- Failing to obey signs
- Failing to stop at pedestrian crossing
- Failing to share the road
- Improper right turn
- Improper left turn
- Failing to signal
- Unnecessary slow driving
- Reversing on a divided highspeed road
- Driver failing to wear a seat belt
- Driver failing to ensure that a passenger less than 23 kg is wearing a seat belt
- Driver failing to ensure passenger under 16 years wearing seat belt
Graduated Licensing Demerit Point System
6 POINTS – You will be called in for an interview
If you accumulate any other points within 24 hours, a subsequent letter will be sent to you.
9 POINTS – You will be suspended from driving for 60 days.
After the 60 day suspension, you will be reinstated 4 points, which will be given to you from the last date of conviction.
FEB 08 – 2 PTS
DEC 09 – 3 PTS
JUL 10 – 2 PTS
JAN 12 – 2 PTS
TOTAL – 9 PTS
You’d now start from JAN 10 with 4 PTS.
These demerit points will remain on the drivers record for a period of 2 years. If you accumulate another 9 points after your suspension, you would get suspended for 6 months.